Monday, November 29, 2010

Scale

The other day I went to go see Wayne Thiebaud in Conversation with Kenneth Baker at the UC Davis Alumni Center.  However, I was just at the door when they said that the seats were full. 

Although I would like to talk about Wayne Thiebaud, this blog actually has to do with what happened while I was waiting in line.  While in line to see Wayne Thiebaud, I saw this very large scaled metal horse - which I instantly recognized as a work of Deborah Butterfield.  I wouldn't have known this unless I had written about her in a previous post, "Creativity from Without," and was extremely surprised not just to find out how ignorant I was about how large her work was (it was almost, if not, lifesize!), but also to find myself awestruck by the aspect of scale.  (But believe me, this was a pleasant surprise.) 


I don't think I realized how an aspect of scale can add another dimension to a work of art.  Just like I can't really explain how seeing a masterpiece in real-life definitely overrides a print any day.  I think it reminded me of how critical it is to look for design and works of art all around you - and to appreciate them while you can as well.  It's a privilege to have a piece or work at hand.

With that, not only will I be making opportune trips to galleries, but I'll be encouraging you to do the same.  There's nothing like "living color".

P.S. Maybe I'll try to post a picture up later when I venture out to the Alumni Center again.

1 comment:

  1. Hey this is Joshua from kealist.com You said you wanted to get in contact, but it's hard without emails on either of our sites. http://www.facebook.com/kealist

    ReplyDelete