Monday, October 4, 2010

"A Tempest Within A Brain"*


I remember there was a day this past summer when I had just finished reading a good chunk of Les Miserables and was reflecting on a part of the story while sitting in the back seat of a car.  As I recollected my favorite chapter, I was also listening to music while watching the images outside the car window sweep by.  My thoughts were soon interrupted when my friend interjected and asked me, “What are you thinking about?” and I realized that I was at a loss of words.  Stranded on an island surrounded by an ocean of thoughts that were only known to me.

I think it is the deep desire of humans to want to communicate.  I mean, I don’t think people were meant to live alone.  Studies have even shown that when individuals are placed in isolation, they go crazy.  Everyday in society we see peoples’ attempt to communicate to others, whether it be an advertisement for milk, writing an essay for a class, or venting to a friend, we all convey a need to communicate.   

Something I’ve thought about alot lately is how to communicate things in our lives that are not quite describable in words.  Victor Hugo spent nearly thirty pages solely describing the condition of his hero’s heart, but even that was probably insufficient in portraying to us a more accurate picture of Jean Valjean’s state.   How many times have we turned to music or art to help us convey better to others our feelings, our hurts, joys, fears, hopes – to show people the things that truly and deeply move us.  

I know that when my friend asked me this question I felt this inner frustration (which wasn’t actually too unfamiliar) at my inability to tell him exactly what I was thinking.  This wasn’t the first time this had happened.  How was I supposed to convey to him ALL the things I was thinking about?  Most of my thoughts weren’t even put in words.  See, when I said I was “thinking” about this particular chapter, I wasn’t merely recalling what happened in the chapter.  I was really thinking about the chapter, I was empathizing, relishing, reflecting.  Mixed into the bunch were (as I can best “describe”) melodies, harmonies, colors, movements, memories, emotions, feelings.  

Like I said, this frustration wasn’t my first encounter – and without a doubt I am sure others have met this little provocation.  A “provocation”?  Yes.  And that’s exactly what it is! It provokes.  It provokes us to seek out more ways to communicate and ways to receive communication.  It provokes us to create and imagine – to design ways to communicate to others the things that move us.




*Victor Hugo- "Fantine: Book Seven, III"

today's song: "Know Your Onion!" - the Shins
 

No comments:

Post a Comment